Thursday, January 17, 2008

Young corporate officer heros

I will have my review of Cloverfield up sometime shortly after midnight. Assuming I'm awake then. But I have this question that's sparked by the movie.

The closest thing to a main character that the film has is a twentysomething corporate type who just got promoted to vice president. His love goes toward a beautiful, wealthy, vapid, debutante-style semi-girlfriend.

Now I have no real bone with twenty-something corporate types. Many of them are fine people, I'm sure, who do volunteer work on the weekend and everything.

But when the hell did young people start rooting for them at the movies?

When did movie heros stop being loners and rebels who had to be called on to save the system? OK, it's true that that model is still around, and will be in evidence in The Dark Knight this summer, for instance. But for the life of me, I can't remember the last time that a young executive was the hero of an action movie.

Is this the start of a trend?

No comments: