Thursday, September 18, 2008

DVD still king

The LA Times is shocked to find that most film consumers still use DVDs rather than online streams, etc. Am I the only one not surprised by this? And am I the only one suspicious of the idea that consumers are going to cease going to the theaters so they can watch movies on iPods and never leave the house?

I'm inherently a techno-skeptic. I don't own a cell phone. And I think as technology develops more and more quickly, we'll find that people cling more and more to the old familiar. Take the little Bluetooth ear things. They aren't the wave of the future. In fifteen years, they'll be what people use to make fun of this era.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Word, word and word.

I don't own a cell phone, either, and have used one four or five times in my life.

People like to own things. Even if they're not movie buffs. Kids like getting the latest Pirates sequel on DVD for Christmas. Parents like getting them because they're inherently satisfying for their kids. I like buying films I know I'll want on DVD and can't get any other way--most recently I bought Chimes at Midnight.

Then there's the inescapable fact that most people like watching movies with other people, a good friend, their spouse, their kids, what have you.

The DVD is likely not permanent, but it's going to be around for a good while.