Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cedar Rapids

Cedar Rapids
Grade: C
Cast: Ed Helms, John C. Reilly, Anne Heche, Isaiah Whitlock Jr., Sigourney Weaver
Director: Miguel Arteta

Cedar Rapids, by Kevin Bowen (with help from Carl Sandburg)

Corn feeder of the world!

A city smelling of insurance, the cleaner of messes, where accidents are always accidents, even naked in bathrooms at the end of slackless ropes.

Temptress of lusts, shaker of souls, the moral poisoner of overgrown children,

City of the weak shoulders.

They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I see your painted women, drizzling outside convention-center hotels, luring the insurance salesmen.

And they tell me you are crooked, and yes, I have watched annual awards for moral business practices pass neatly for wrinkled travelers checks,

And they tell me you are wanton, dear Iowa, and yes, I have watched your drunken midnight swims in hazy pools, with no lifeguards or rings or memories of family.

And they tell me you are funny, and I say yes, but not quite enough Fargo and a little too much The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

Randy (Sigourney Weaver),

Dirty (John C. Reilly),

Anonymous (Isaiah Whitlock Jr.),

Building (Ed Helms), Breaking, Rebuilding (Anne Heche)

A movie that is proud to be funny, but not quite enough Fargo and a little too much The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

No comments: